Thursday, July 31, 2008

One Of My Many Weaknesses

I am only revealing this weakness to help those with the same weakness to keep this from happening to you and because it is a funny story- at least now it is. I am a fairly organized person but when it comes to mail – not so organized. Brandt and I pay some of our bills online and the rest are on auto-pay so we rarely check our mail. Once a week when I do check the mail I pull out all the fun stuff like wedding announcement or shower invitations and put the rest of the mail in a pile. After the pile accumulates for 1 to 2 months (this is so embarrassing). I have Brandt go through it and throw away the junk and file the important stuff. This last Saturday (July 26th) Brandt was going through the pile and saw “Jury Summons” that was sent on June 24th for Brandt to appear in court from July 9th through the 11th. As you can imagine our worry quickly turned to being freaked-out when we read the following, “If you fail to appear as directed, you will be in contempt of court and may be fined for up to $1,000 AND jailed for up to 30 days.”




Every 2nd Sunday for over a year now I have enjoyed people’s reaction when I tell them that Brandt (who is the Elders Quorum 2nd Counselor in our ward) is in jail. Just to later explain that he has a calling to teach Sunday School and translates Spanish to all the Logan criminals that attend the jail branch. But I never thought that I would be telling people that Brandt was in jail for up to 30 days for not showing up to jury duty, and it was entirely my fault.

After finding this mail in the pile all we could do was wait for Monday to come so that we could call and see what was going on. It turned out that that specific case was settled out of court. Besides lots of prayers, one good thing that came out of this was now I check my mail more and go through EVERYTHING before putting it in the pile and eventually maybe even get rid of the whole "pile" process.

3 comments:

jaci said...

what a crazy story! i am so glad everything worked out for the better.

mental monika said...

Gotta love the whole jury duty thing. Funny how many times you actually DON'T have to go! I don't know how many times I've waited to do the 6 am calling to see if they need me, only to be told . . . nope! But fun story, lol!

Sally said...

I wondered if I could get your home address. Will you e-mail it to me? sallyseamananderson @ Gmail . com Thanks!